Fire prevention in the workplace is crucial throughout the entire year. However, as each season emerges, you might need to alter some fire protection strategies. In this case, spring is an excellent time to do so. Spring is all about new beginnings. It’s time to reevaluate your fire protection equipment and evacuation plan if you’re not confident that your team and customers will be as safe as possible during a fire emergency. Here are the benefits of spring fire prevention and a commercial fire safety checklist to follow.
The Benefits of Spring Fire Prevention
Wintertime is not the only season essential for fire safety tips. Businesses decorate with holiday lights, and employees bring in space heaters. However, as enjoyable as spring is, it has its risks too. Honestly, no one likes to think about a fire happening. However, when you partake in spring fire prevention tactics, you’ll be ready for anything that occurs in your workplace. If this circumstance arises, you’ll know what to do.
Your Commercial Fire Safety Checklist for Spring
Here are six steps that can put your spring fire prevention plan into motion:
- Test your smoke alarms: Every spring and fall, it’s best to check your smoke alarms to guarantee the batteries work.
- Avoid overloading electrical sockets: Walk around your office to ensure you don’t see any overloaded outlets or extension cords. Also, extension cords should be a temporary power source.
- Ensure that exits and stairways are clear: Fire exits, regular exits, and stairways should be clutter-free.
- Examine your fire prevention plan: Check your fire prevention plan and evacuation plan to see if you need to make any necessary updates.
- Turn off all appliances: Many people love a fresh cup of Joe in the morning. If you provide your employees with a Keuring or coffee maker, ensure that you turn them off at the end of the day (as well as fans or other appliances).
- Implement fire extinguisher training: Does your commercial facility house a kitchen? Do your employees know they should use a class B fire extinguisher to extinguish grease fires? If not, ensure all your employees have fire extinguisher training and are highly knowledgeable about the fire evacuation plan.
Here’s a bonus tip. It’s best to speak with a fire safety expert to ensure you cross all your t’s and dot all your i’s regarding commercial fire safety. Keep your building safe this spring by calling Chesapeake Sprinkler today.
Contact Chesapeake Sprinkler Company Today!
Chesapeake Sprinkler Company is a leading fire sprinkler contractor in the region, which is now a 100% employee-owned (ESOP) company. As a full-service fire protection company, we offer design, fabrication, installation, testing, maintenance, and inspection of fire protection systems—everything you need from your fire suppression specialist.
For more information, please email or call our Odenton location at 410-674-7041, our Ashburn location at 703-729-5150, or for service/maintenance Chesapeake Protection Services at 410-674-7577. Feel free to keep in touch through Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn!